Welcome

Bringing you the latest trends in high end outdoor furniture. It is my highest hope that you find this blog to be interesting and educational. I will bring you as much information as possible on the happenings of the upscale outdoor furniture market and keep you abreast of the latest industry trends and the best offerings available. Please feel free to add your comments if and when the spirit moves you. As well, feel free to offer any advice on what you believe could make this a better blog. I'm always listening!


Friday, August 6, 2010

Funky Friday Returns

I live in San Diego California but I grew up in Vancouver Canada. Don't get me wrong but if your going to move away from Vancouver ( Really? I, know!!) then San Diego is a pretty darn good place to land. I can pretty much wear flip-flops 360 days a year, the weather is amazing, people are friendly and it lends itself really well to my business. However, I do miss Vancouver. It's so green. Green tree's, green lawns, green mountains to look up at green lakes and green streams. So today, just for fun, I thought we might look at some really funky furniture made by some designers that scream, "GREEN!!!"

I love this piece by the talented designer Deger Cengiz which is currently on exhibit at the Smithsonian Cooper Hewitt Design Museum .

Deger trained as an architect. His professional resume includes architecture, archeology and industrial design. The Chaise Lawn blurs the line between sculpture and furniture. Grass seeds included but the Chaise Lawn also looks great planted with wild flowers or aromatic herbs.



Hong Daode was granted the coveted Red Dot award in design concept. This chaise lounge was chosen out of the 12,000 submissions from over 60 countries. A winner is chosen in each of three categories: product design, communication design and design concept. The winner's entries are then put on display for the public to view at the Red Dot design museums. There is one museum in Essen Germany and one in Singapore. The simple premise behind the design is this: People who live in apartments and want the opportunity to feel the grass under them should be able to do so.

Rather clever, if you ask me.


5.5 Designs in collaboration with
Bton Design, Mobilier à jardiner is an outdoor furniture collection that includes a bench and chair with seat-backs made of shrubs and a coffee table with a grass table top. Just imagine being able to plant whatever you desire in the back of your chair.

Very cool (and green) indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment