Welcome

Bringing you the latest trends in high end outdoor furniture. It is my highest hope that you find this blog to be interesting and educational. I will bring you as much information as possible on the happenings of the upscale outdoor furniture market and keep you abreast of the latest industry trends and the best offerings available. Please feel free to add your comments if and when the spirit moves you. As well, feel free to offer any advice on what you believe could make this a better blog. I'm always listening!


Thursday, January 6, 2011

Poly-Wood Not Boly-Wood

Sometimes we set our minds on the negative and that's all we can see.  I have noticed that Poly-wood  furniture is really coming into it's own, and I was aghast!

Instead of taking the time to learn about the product, I immediately scoffed at the idea of anything made of plastic being good quality let alone attractive.  We have all seen the resin chairs you can get at any big box retailer, grocery store etc...  I believed that Poly-wood was the same thing with a catchy name .

Boy, was I wrong!    


What, is Poly-wood?


Poly-wood is made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), UV-inhibited pigment systems, foaming compounds, and selected process additives.  The HDPE primary raw material is derived from post-consumer bottle waste, such as milk and detergent bottles or other HDPE post industrial material.  This material is cleaned by a decontamination process to a high purity level, which removes contaminants such as food residue, paper, and adhesives. It is then compounded into a rigid board stock material; with the resulting finished product containing over 90% recycled plastic by weight.




How do they make milk jugs and detergent bottle into furniture





Poly-wood plastic lumber is extruded from pellets.  And pushed through tubes to make plastic lumber. The lumber can then be cut, router, screwed and assembled into sustainable outdoor furniture that will last a lifetime.  All the hardware is stainless steel and made to withstand the elements.










 Is Poly-Wood easy to take care of?


YES!!!  Just wipe it off and wash it with soap and water.  If a stain was to occur, Poly-wood can be washed with one part bleach to two parts water.  A soft cloth and a brush should remove the toughest stain.







I love the colours as they are bright and plentiful.

Poly-wood is twice the density of real wood.  

With exceptional moisture resistance you will never have  to worry about cracking or sanding, bugs or rot.








After reviewing and really looking at some Poly-wood pieces I have to say I am impressed.  I can see this product at your secondary home, beach house or the PERFECT addition to a rental property.

I am all about going green and this product represents a huge step forward.

Taking milk jugs and other recyclable plastics and turning them into chairs, tables and other outdoor living products is pretty darn smart to me! 







I'm so glad to have reviewed these furniture pieces!  My research into these pieces has re-affirmed my belief that you need to see the product and get as much information as possible before passing judgment on that product.

It is a simple maxim but will help ensure you make the correct furniture selection decision.  Products such as these should also remind us to thoroughly distance ourselves from any preconceived notions as to the innate quality of an item based solely on its material composition.

Ummm...yep! -  Just like I have been telling my clients and readers to do. :)

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment