Welcome

Bringing you the latest trends in high end outdoor furniture. It is my highest hope that you find this blog to be interesting and educational. I will bring you as much information as possible on the happenings of the upscale outdoor furniture market and keep you abreast of the latest industry trends and the best offerings available. Please feel free to add your comments if and when the spirit moves you. As well, feel free to offer any advice on what you believe could make this a better blog. I'm always listening!


Friday, November 12, 2010

Be real (and honest) when selling your furniture

I like to look on Craiglist, Ebay and my absolute favorite, 1stdibs, for eclectic pieces not only for clients but for myself.  It's much like panning for gold - sometimes you get really lucky and find absolutely the most fantastic things. 

Then sometimes you don't...

Please, do not get me wrong.  With certainty, I am not a mean spirited person - far from it.  I will give you the shirt off my back and my last dollar bill if you need it but, sometimes, I have issue with the "verbage" I often see. 

The following are examples of experiences I have had:

Is that "vintage?"  ...Really?
Please refrain from telling me something is vintage simply because it has become weather beaten and/or worn out in your backyard.  Weathered and worn don't necessarily mean vintage.  It might be better to tell the reader you have some pieces that need a little TLC.  Trust me, there are lots of people who get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from refinishing furniture.

Put down that spray paint can! 
Please don't feel the need to spray paint your powder coated outdoor furniture. Once done it's ruined and can not be brought back to the original condition making it worthless to a potential purchaser.  Either call a company that specializes in restoration of outdoor furniture or again, tell the reader that the furniture is structurally sound but requires a new powder coating.  Re-doing a powder coat is not as expensive as people may fear.  I have told my clients often to re-powder coat pieces rather than spend money on new furniture.

What you see MUST BE what you get.
Don't post a picture you found on a website of the item as it would appear if brand new.  People are willing to drive a fair distance to look at your pieces and are bound to be terribly disappointed when they arrive and the furniture needs work.  A camera phone or even a quick snapshot with a disposable camera demonstrates to a potential buyer what they are really buying.  Complete honesty up front is going to save everyone a lot of time and it will also help the seller find the right buyer. 

Don't give away the store.
If you have something that was handed down to you from a friend or family member, it is well worth doing some research as to the origin of the piece or collection.  You just might have a "diamond in the rough."  I once had the pleasure of attending an estate sale at the home of a most delightful couple.  They had an Eames lounge chair and ottoman and were asking a paltry $80.00 for the lounger and $40.00 for the ottoman.  I could feel the vultures circling!  In good conscience, I could not allow this sweet little couple to sell something so potentially valuable.  I talked to the husband and he removed the price tags from the piece until they could get someone to come out for an appraisal.  The chair and ottoman were original, having still had the paper tag on the underside of the chair!  The moral of the story is: If your not sure about something's value have it appraised.  Just be certain about the appraiser is properly credentialed.

Keep the guesswork to a minimum.
On the other hand, don't tell someone something is made by a company if it is not or you're uncertain of its origin.  There are wonderful designers and retailers in the market place that are more than happy to look at photographs of your furniture and confirm the manufacturer.  Of course, its better to be safe than sorry.

Do the right thing.
Just tell the truth.  It has been my experience that there are buyers out there for almost every thing.  If you can't sell it then perhaps a donation to a local charity might be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment